We are strongly committed to the principles of conservation and sustainability. As both a zoological park and a visitor attraction we recognize that our own operations and actions of our guests have an impact on the environment.
Our aim is to reduce this impact as much as we can and our Green Team has been especially set up to drive sustainability and awareness. The team focusses on:
- Raising awareness and inspiring our guests to take positive action on environmental issues
- Being more energy efficient
- Improving the ways we use water
- Striving to achieve Zero waste to landfill
Our achievements so far
- Installing water reduction bags in our toilet cisterns has reduced water consumption by 1 litre per toilet, per flush. That is a reduction of over 250,000 litres of water last year. This was enough to supply our herd of elephants for over a year.
- Our guests saved 3.21 tonnes of C02e from being emitted to the atmosphere through using the baboon bus. That’s the equivalent to the weight of 30 baby elephants!
- Our solar panels produced enough electricity to travel up to 2000 miles in our electric car visiting schools.
- Any waste that we can’t recycle goes to waste for energy. This means that for every is taken produces enough electricity to power an average UK home for 2 months!
We encourage our guests to get involved in our work on sustainability and we’ll be posting a number of challenges on our facebook page over the coming months so if you want to get involved just follow us on Facebook.
test test test