Our mission at Knowsley Safari is to connect communities with the natural world for the benefit of future generations and we recognise that an important part of this is to support and invest in those who want to pursue a career within a zoological collection.
Our Student Keeper Internship Programme is designed to offer those students working towards an animal based degree an education in the practical aspects of an Animal Keeper role within an outstanding Safari Park surrounded by experienced keepers who are more than happy to pass on their skills and knowledge. We offer you first-hand experience within the Park/Zoo community with plenty of support, training and development of you as an individual. Following our placement, you will develop skills in animal management & husbandry, organisation & planning, and teamwork & communication, and gain a realistic idea of the intense physical demands of the role.
Who should apply?
This placement is aimed at undergraduate students who:
- Must undertake a placement to accompany their studies as a required aspect of their university programme
- Wish to take a “sandwich year” within their degree in order to gain experience in the safari / zoo world
Only students who fit either of the above criteria and are enrolled on a course which is relevant to the role will be considered for the placement.
Working with animals can be routine and very physically demanding, you should have a reasonable level of fitness to carry out the placement and will be required to complete a medical questionnaire.
Please note that we do not provide accommodation.
2018/2019 – To be confirmed
To be immersed into the world of a Safari Park which will prepare students for working life after university. Students will be educated in all aspects of the Park, primarily the Animal team but also the Visitor Services in order to gain an overall knowledge to appreciate the running of the Park as a business as well as an enriching environment for our animals.
There are several tasks which you will be required to complete during your time with us:
- You will agree on personal objectives with your supervisor for your time at Knowsley Safari. Your progress regarding these objectives will be reviewed during your internship.
- You will work through competency sheets which will give you experiences within the section you are working.
- Each month you will be asked to submit a reflective diary of your activities in the Park to be added to your programme folder on the last day of the month over the course of the placement. This will help you to evaluate your time with us as a whole so that you can reflect on what you have achieved over the course of your placement. It will also enable us to assess where you require further training and what your strengths are within the Park so that we may encourage the best out of you.
- A research project based on observational study is to be completed which will be agreed with our Research Officer started in January, to be submitted in early June.
- Increase your skills and knowledge relating to animal husbandry, animal management, and visitor services, amongst others.
- Thorough understanding the job role of an Animal Keeper in a Safari Park environment.
- Foundation knowledge of job roles relating to visitor services which serve the Park as a visitor attraction.
- Gain an insight into the way our organisation operates and the challenges we face.
- Clarify your own career goals and aspirations.
- The student will be expected to attend the placement 5 days over 7 days on a rota basis between the hours of 8.30am-4pm/6pm including weekends and bank holidays.
- The student will understand and operate themselves within the guidelines of zoo legislation.
- The student will be interested, enthusiastic and committed to the full duration of the placement.
- The student will dress appropriately for the Park and will wear protective clothing in specialised area (supplied by us).
- The student will maintain the highest personal standards in cleanliness and behaviours’ and be prepared to learn.
- The student will show good time keeping and attendance.
- The student will inform their university supervisor as well as their supervisor if they cannot attend due to illness as soon as possible.
- The student will maintain the highest standards of confidentiality in all aspects of their position.
How do I apply?
The application period for the 2018/2019 Student Keeper placements will open to students from 6th June 2017.